Commercial and Corporate
Having led many substantial deals for clients over the years, Paul provides a good practical overview of the commerciality of any sale, purchase or acquisition for any business alongside providing the legal know-how, necessary documentation and agreements.
He is also involved in non executive Director roles for companies giving "sage-like" advice and guidance on the advantages and pitfalls in taking a particular choice or decision in relation to that business, not only in relation to legal issues, but from wide experience in management and business dealings including corporate leaders, dignitaries, government departments, and well known organisations.
He has particular expertise in:
- Forming new companies.
- Directors / Shareholders agreements.
- Buying and selling company shares.
- Buying and selling company assets.
- Buying, selling and leasing commercial property.
- Commercial property development - with full local knowledge of planning and local issues with a history of previous involvement with likely developers, individuals or professionals and lenders who might be involved.
- Private equity transactions.
- Raising venture capital.
- Loan finance.
- Management buyouts.
Having a son who graduated from Harper Adams University, the leading specialist agricultural seat of learning, he naturally has always had a general interest in all farming issues. Paul is an active supporter of Bedfordshire Young Farmers and has been involved with many farming issues for both large and small farms and
tenancies and personally knows most local Land Agents throughout Herts, Beds and Bucks.
He has particular expertise in:
- Land development/promotion agreements.
- Buying and selling farmland - with or without farmhouses.
- Farm Business Tenancies (FBTs).
- Occupation of farm buildings.
- Grazing rights.
- Milk quotas.
- Single payment scheme and sporting rights.
- Contracting agreements.
- Share farming.
- Agricultural Property Relief (APR) and Business Property Relief (BPR).
- Inheritance Tax issues.
Wills & Probate, Inheritance Issues
For 27 years Paul led a Solicitors Practice that strongly marketed and advertised the importance of the making of a Will targetting families, individuals and business people. He is both a trusted Executor and Administrator of Estates, experienced in dealing with the most complicated or sensitive inheritance issues from modest to wealthy estates and a very capable advisory on all inheritance tax issues and allowances available.
He has the expertise in:
- Letters of Administration.
- Powers of Attorney.
- Lasting Powers of Attorney (LPAs).
- Living Wills.
- Residential / Nursing Home fees.
- Disputed Wills.
- Inheritance (Provision for Dependents) Act 1975.
Paul has for many years, advised company or business employers about all appropriate requirements for staff contracts, handbooks and procedures generally helping to guide employers through the sometimes difficult process of dealing with staff issues.
He has had dealings with Directors and senior staff drawing up Contracts of Employment to protect IPR and
secret information or detail that could be commercially sensitive.
Advising and where appropriate, conducting Employment Tribunal Claims and Defences for employers and senior employees in a confidential and cost effective approach.
He has often negotiated employment Settlement Agreements (formerly Compromise Agreements) for very senior staff and others to ensure the best settlement terms for all concerned.